Date of last revision: 8/9/2000
Note: We are currently in the middle of a transition to a new naming and numbering scheme. We strongly recommend that you use the special names listed below rather than individual workstation names whenever possible.
This document describes how Design Center machine network names (hostnames) are chosen, and lists available hostnames.
Most hostnames in the Design Center are a combination of an abbreviation for the item type and the network address. The domain name for the Design Center is dc.engr.scu.edu.
Most equipment has an Internet Protocol (IP) address in the range of 18.104.22.168 through 22.214.171.124, with the last portion of the address used in the hostname. This network address will be represented as "**" in the sections that follow.
- Servers of all types have hostnames of server**.
- Unix workstations have hostnames combining the operating system and **
- HP-UX workstations are hpux**
- Solaris workstations are sol**
- Linux workstations are linux**
- PC workstations have hostnames of pc**.
- X-Terminals have hostnames of xt**.
- Other equipment has names that do not follow any standard patern.
In addition to the official hostnames, several aliases have been set up to provide stable names for functions even as the machines that perform those functions change.
Names for logging in remotely.
You can telnet or rlogin to any of these names instead of using a complete hostname.
- If you specify hpux.dc.engr.scu.edu, you will be randomly connected to any HP workstation running the HP/UX operating system.
- If you specify sol.dc.engr.scu.edu, you will be randomly connected to any Sun workstation running the Solaris operating system.
- If you specify linux.dc.engr.scu.edu, you will be randomly connected to any PC workstation running the Linux operating system.
Names for special servers.
Servers for well-known services have been assigned aliases based on those services.
- The Design Center web server is www.scudc.scu.edu. A web server for the Helpme system is available at helpme.scudc.scu.edu.
- See "helpme email" for information on mail server names.
Current Workstation Hostnames
Note: This information often isn't updated every time systems are changed. For this reason, it is recommended that you use the special names listed above whenever possible.
- Servers are found at server1 through server9. Servers 8 and 9 allow students to log in; the others do not.
- HP workstations are hpux21 through hpux53.
- Sun workstations are sol61 through sol64.
- Linux workstations are linux101 through linux108.
- pc220 through pc236 are Windows NT workstations.
Other Topics of Interest